Daydreaming with Purpose: A Story Can Come From Anywhere!


Wow! I am so excited that I have new followers and want to thank each of you.  I've already "chatted" with a few of you, but wanted to say thanks for all the really nice comments. I'm so excited about my new blog.

Today, I thought I'd do something a little different.  Blurbs are great, but  today I'd just like to tell you some interesting bits about what inspired me to write ISLAND OF SECRETS.

One day I was reading a time travel book and right smack dab in the middle of the action a strange question occured to me. I wondered how it was that in every book I read no mention was made of what was going on while the heroine or hero was time traveling. Did noone realize they were gone? Really? Thus general ideas began to percolate.

Later, I was reading a local family history book a distant relative had put together, the type where your name is listed as the great, great granddaughter of ... There in front of me was a strange story in which one of two men cut his hand off and threw it onto dry land to claim an island. I'm being very general here, but you get the picture. On the front of said family history is a strange coat of arms that included said bloody palm. Now, I can't elaborate too much on what this story has to do with my novel that would just be a spoiler.

Since I also love a good gothic romance, I thought it would be interesting to have a modern heroine time travel into a gothic enviroment. ISLAND OF SECRETS, explores how someone from our time would react to an old manor house, talk of ghosts and other spooky occurances.

A story can come from anywhere, a stranger you meet on the street, an item you see in a shop, something strange that happened on the way to work...an idea for a story can spring forth from anything, anybody, anywhere....and mine usually do.

But, an idea is nothing without the characters that live within your story.  The characters are the glue that holds an idea together or allows it to fall apart.  I lived with these characters for a very long time, over the years they have become very real to me and I hope very real to the readers with whom they share their story.
My book is categorized as a romance and it does have a love story, but it is so entwined with the plot I don't know how you would remove one from the other. It's very plot intensive so if you enjoy books that you can't figure within the first twenty pages, it may be a good fit for you.


I said I'm not going to cut and paste or share the "blurb". I just wanted to share a little bit of background on my novel. As with all books, none are created equal and there are readers for all types. If you find any of this interesting I would love for you to sample it. If you like it, wonderful, I've made a new reader friend, if not, well, I'd like to think I've still made a new friend and maybe you'll like my next book better. Speaking of which my upcoming release THE COUNTERFEIT will soon be out and to celebrate ISLAND OF SECRETS is on sale for .99 for a limited time.

Daydreaming isn't just for writers:
Allow yourself to dream, think of the time you set aside to daydream like a small garden plot filled with good, rich soil. It's ready for you to plant a small seed, water with the an investment of time, then watch your efforts grow into an acocmplishment.  Whatever it is that you desire to do, you can apply a little daydreaming and see what happens with a little practice.  Excercise your imagination, then apply your creativity

Happy Reading and a wonderful weekend to you all!
Tammie

Island of Secrets

Comments

  1. Just visiting to follow you back from Welcome to weekend blog hop. Thanks for linking up. Hope you'll make new friends. Will come back and read your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The everyday romantic sounds very interesting. Thanks for stopping by my blog, following back and i look forward being part of your blog. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and following me at Tips for Saving. I am now following your blog as well.

    Keep in Touch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts