Daydreams, Bestsellers and my take on Reader Reviews

Daydreams...

I believe that every novel penned starts out as a daydream.  That mind occupying, body numbing endeavor that we all indulge in from time to time.  My husband often asks me "what are you staring at".  I laugh and tell him nothing, he looks at me strange then I have to try to explain to him that I was miles away in an exotic location possibly hundreds of years ago.  Then I have to telling him "I'm thinking, you know about the book". 

It doesn't matter how many times this happens, it always takes him a few minutes to "get it".  I guess maybe everyone doesn't stare into space on a frequent basis.  Well, that's how I do my best plotting.  It stands to reason that if I can make the "world" go away and concentrate on my made-up one, it's bound to be a productive "daydream".

I don't think writers are the only ones who daydream. It's an effective way for any creative type to get in touch with their imagination and call it into action.  If you haven't daydreamed today I encourage you to set aside a few minutes to let your imagination play.

Bestsellers...
When I first started writing, penning a bestseller was a pipe dream.  I would daydream about the moment it would happen and how it would change my life, but the reality is different.  It has happened, since the ISLAND OF SECRETS was launched, it has spent the majority of days on one or more top 100 Bestseller lists at Amazon.  This week it made it to #6 on the Gothic and #15 on the Time Travel Lists.  It was an awesome feeling of accomplishment. 

The reality for me though was that each time a reader sends me a letter or leaves a review and tells me the really enjoyed my book or that they loved the characters, it gives me that same sense of accomplishment.  I've learned that the biggest advantage to being on a Bestseller list is that more people can find your book and ultimately might send you along a note.

Reader Reviews...
Not everyone is going to like my book and I know it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt when I get a review from someone that didn't like my book.  When I do I just have to remember that I've started reading plenty of books from lots of well known and loved authors, just to eventually put them down.  The reason there are so many different types of books is because there are so many different types of readers. I don't expect every one of them to love my writing style and I try not to take their critical remarks personally.  For every one of them that doesn't like my book I have 4-5 who love it.  I don't want readers who won't enjoy my writing style to read my book. It would be a terrible waste of their time. I'm looking for those readers that are captivated and drawn into my stories, the ones that get caught up and can't put the book down until they reach the end.  Those readers are out there and I'm finding them one by one. 

I encorage readers to go and read the free sample.  I don't know why so many readers refuse to do this. It's my favortie feature on the Kindle.  I get to sample lots of authors then decide whether to spend my money buying their book...

So thank you to all of you who read my book...you continue to make my Daydreams come true!


Happy Reading,
Tammie

Comments

  1. Hi Tammie. I found your blog through Author Central on facebook. I understand completely about the daydreams. I'm the same way. My actual dreams (which I have been told are more detailed than most peoples, but I think I just take the time to remember them more than others) can often become great stories as well. I look forward to reading more from you. Keep dreaming and writing!

    Sylvia
    http://writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding new authors through Kindle. It's a lot of fun and I've found some really awesome authors. There are other times however, when I want that couple of hours back that it took for me to "buy" the free book and read it. I rarely write reviews for books, however, because I don't find myself as eloquent as some people. But if I like a book and/or author I recommend them to others. If I don't, I won't go to their site or review their book with nasty comments like I've seen with some reviews. It's just rude. I'd rather be fair and say it's not my cup of tea. :)

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! Following you via GFC! Looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammie. Loved this post. Everybody seems to get the occasional reader review that stings.

    "I don't expect every one of them to love my writing style and I try not to take their critical remarks personally."

    Sound advice. I was just wondering if you had any tips on how to do that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts