Daydreaming about Christmas Past and the New Year that's upon us...

For the first time in my 25 year marriage, we celebrated Thanksgiving AND Christmas with my husband's family at our house.  My mother-in-law has been experiencing some back problems that prevented her from hosting this year.  When my husband first came home and told me that we were having Thanksgiving at our house all I could think about was how much work we needed to do before the event.  I was exhausted just thinking about everything that was wrong around our house and how our Home was not perfect. 


Then as we began fixing the little things that on a day to day basis don't bother us all that much, I began to realize that I have a really big problem, and I set out to change it... My problem was my attitude... We have a beautiful home, lived in, but beautiful and we are so fortunate to have family that we are close to, and that would do anything for us.  Fretting about whether we "appear" to live in a perfect bubble seemed to be less important than learning to be not only content but thankful for all the many blessings that surround us every day.

Isn't it easy to assume that "other people" don't have dirty clothes lying around and never have a dish in the sink?  Isn't is easy to assume no one else has a neighborhood dog that's scattered their trash all over their yard?  Isn't is easy to assume that the grass is always greener on the other side of the road?

Over the holidays, I allowed myself to remember all those Christmas Holidays that I spent as a child at my grandparent's farm.  It wasn't perfect. It was old and small and paint might be peeling on the front porch, but it was warm and friendly and always stirs within me such feelings of contentment.  Once I realized that my fondest memories were of the people with whom I'd spent those holidays, I began to appreciate the opportunity, we had to create new memories with our family right in our own imperfect home.

We had such a wonderful time at Thanksgiving that we agreed to host Chrsitmas as well.  I had the best time decorating this year. I realized I didn't need anything new, and that I had plenty from years past. 

Now, our house is relatively ready for visitors and my goal for the new year is not to be such a hermit.  I'm looking for more opportunities to invite family and friends to meet with us in our home so that we can create more memories with them.

Thank you to all the readers who've made Island of Secrets such a success.  THE COUNTERFEIT is doing well, and I will be starting the writing phase of my new book the end of January. 

May your Days be filled with Dreams and Your New Year better than ever,
Tammie

Comments

Popular Posts